Friday, September 23, 2011

Maybe if she'd said it in Law Latin? "Tace!"

The Hon. Edith Jones of the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals is on a roll: first her slapdown of Judge Sam "Kindergarten Party" Sparks (which she cc'd to every other federal judge in W.D. Tex.), and now this at an en banc rehearing:
JUDGE DENNIS: Well, we’ve said over and over that the amount…. this court, no court has said that you can infer….

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: Judge Dennis….

JUDGE DENNIS: … just on the basis of the amount of drugs …

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: Judge Dennis!

JUDGE DENNIS: Can I, can I, can I ask a question?

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: You have monopolized, uh, uh, seven minutes….

JUDGE DENNIS: Well, I’m way behind on asking questions in this court. I have been quiet a lot of times, and I am involved in this case….

CHIEF JUDGE JONES slams her hand down on the table (loudly), stands halfway up out of her chair, and points toward the door.

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: Would you like to leave?

JUDGE DENNIS: Pardon? What did you say?

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: I want you to shut up long enough for me to suggest that perhaps….

JUDGE DENNIS: Don’t tell me to shut up….

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: … you should give some other judge a chance to ask a question …

JUDGE DENNIS: Listen, I have been in this courtroom many times and gotten closed out and not able to ask a question. I don’t think I’m being overbearing….

CHIEF JUDGE JONES: You’ve been asking questions for the entire seven minutes….

JUDGE DENNIS: Well, I happen to be through. I have no more questions.
(Via Bashman.) Puttin' the "chief" back in "chief judge," for sure. Imagine being the cringing counsel at the podium, waiting for Mom and Dad to quit fighting. Oy.

(She did apologize later, though the recording cuts off there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment