Monday, February 15, 2010

Cheney to rule of law: Bite me

Perhaps observing Obama's complete lack of interest in justice or the rule of law, Cheney has decided to come out and declare his likely guilt for committing war crimes:
KARL: Did you more often win or lose those battles, especially as you got to the second term?

CHENEY: Well, I suppose it depends on which battle you're talking about. I won some; I lost some. I can't...

(CROSSTALK)

KARL: ... waterboarding, clearly, what was your...

CHENEY: I was a big supporter of waterboarding. I was a big supporter of the enhanced interrogation techniques that...

KARL: And you opposed the administration's actions of doing away with waterboarding?

CHENEY: Yes.
Via Sullivan, who of course is all over this:
Nations who are party to these treaties must enact and enforce legislation penalizing any of these crimes. Nations are also obligated to search for persons alleged to commit these crimes, or ordered them to be committed, and to bring them to trial regardless of their nationality and regardless of the place where the crimes took place. The principle of universal jurisdiction also applies to the enforcement of grave breaches.
I could see Cheney aiming for martyrdom -- next up, his bestseller from Regency, Waterboarding: It's Torture, and I Ordered It! -- but I think it's really just contempt. Well-deserved contempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment