Monday, October 17, 2011

Old-Fashioned

Reading (sporadically) An Army at Dawn and found FDR at Casablanca mixing, not his godawful 2:1 Martinis, but Old-Fashioneds.

That inspired me to mix one tonight, and since I was watching the Dolphins go 0-5, I had a couple more after that, then a Manhattan or two (I am having some difficulty typing this, my friends). I cheated however, because my home drink manual suggested that simple syrup would do in place of the muddled sugar cube, and I fucking hate muddling sugar cubes -- they don't dissolve, dammit. (Ditto re: Sazeracs.) So I went first with 2 tsp per the recipe, which is too much, and decided one tsp is better. Quite easy to keep drinking those Old-Fashioneds, as you watch the Dolphins try yet again to run up the middle against the Jets defense (Sanchez is a squirrelly QB, but the Jets' defense is all too equal to the Fins' running game).

... Wondrich: "Originally -- in 1806, at least, which is good enough for us -- a 'cock tail' was a morning drink (ah, America!) made up of a little water, a little sugar, a lot of liquor, and a couple splashes of bitters. Freeze the water, make it with whiskey, and you have an Old-Fashioned."

UPDATE: Speaking of Manhattans, Sombra offers a "Manhattan Classico," using Añejo tequila instead of rye. Just don't order one from the friendly red-headed bartender who doesn't know to shake it up with ice, but rather just pours the ingredients together and gives it to you like that. Asked to recommend a drink, he said "Well, I'm a beer and wine kind of guy, not real into the mixed drinks." Which led us to wonder, then why are you standing on the other side of this bar?

No comments:

Post a Comment