Monday, April 09, 2012

When I was in fourth grade, no less.

Kingfish reports that Gov. Phil Bryant has evidently decided that stronger beer is not a victory for Satan.

In honor of this event, here's an old drinking song that I can't find on the internet with the lyrics exactly as my mother (yep) taught them to me, so I will present that version here:
Drunk last night, drunk the night before,
Gonna get drunk tonight like I've never been drunk before;
For when I'm drunk I'm as happy as can be;
For I am a member of the Soused family.

Now the Soused family is the best family
That ever came over from Old Germany.
There's the Amsterdam Dutch, and the Rotterdam Dutch,
But the best Damn Dutch are the God-Damn Dutch!

Glorrr-i-ous!
Glorrr-i-ous!
One keg of beer for the four of us!
Glory be to Heaven that we're not ten or eleven,
For one of us can drink it all alone - all alone! HIC!
... A friend advises me of what beers we've been missing. I'm pretty sure I can do without the Russian Imperial Stouts, but the Scottish ales sound inviting. And a whole lotta Belgian brews that aren't Stella Artois. (Which, amusingly, is sold as ultra-classy over here and regarded like Budweiser in Belgium.)

2 comments:

  1. Will we be able to hear a recording of it on YouTube? I am concerned about the tune. JL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there's one out there - this version seems like how I learned the tune, though my wife will assure that my ability to read music is sharply (flatly?) limited.

    ReplyDelete