Thursday, October 29, 2009

What your Bible and Magna Carta have in common

The barons who pushed Magna Carta on John were led by, among others, Stephen Langton, the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is also the fellow who divided the books of the Bible into their modern chapter divisions.

When you see the guy waving "JOHN 3:16" at a football game, he has Stephen Langton to thank.

(As well as Robert Estienne, who divided the New Testament into verses; I believe the OT's verse divisions are lost in the mists of time. Robert's son was Henri Estienne, whose edition of Plato provides the common page numbering of the dialogues today.)

2 comments:

  1. Long time reader, first time commentator, but recent references to Alan Moore's Lost Girls, Harlan Ellison, and now with the correct reference to Magna Carta (no "the"!), leads me to say I DO HEARTILY ENJOY THIS BLOG!

    --David McCarty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you, sir -- I occasionally have to remind myself that anyone *does* read this blog.

    (Though I confess having wavered between "Carta" and "Charta.")

    ReplyDelete