Tuesday, October 06, 2009

How not to blog; or, Why is my brief not written yet

I was struck by the auto-complete suggestions on Google when all one has typed is the word "how":
how to tie a tie
how to kiss
how i met your mother
how to get pregnant
how stuff works
how to
how to lose weight
how to make a website
Presumably, these are the goals most often sought via Google.

... "How not to get pregnant" is however the very first hit when one types "how not," followed by:
how not to look old
how not to be shy
how not to be jealous
how not to die
how not to live your life
how not to be seen
how not to worry
how not to cry
how not to write a novel
These lists have a found-verse quality to them.

... Okay, I have to quit doing this:
how can you tell if a guy likes you
how can you tell if a girl is a virgin
how can i make my hair grow faster
how can you tell if a girl likes you
how can you tell if your pregnant
how can i get pregnant
how can i keep from singing lyrics
how can you tell if someone is lying
how can i lose weight fast
how can i keep from singing
The youthfulness of those who consult Google for their major life issues is evident.
why is the sky blue
why is michael jackson white
why is my poop green
why is there a dead pakistani on my couch
why is a raven like a writing desk
why is yawning contagious
why is my computer so slow
why is facebook so slow
why is the ocean salty
why is it raining so much
Okay, that fourth one leads me to think that someone is gaming the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment