Thursday, April 15, 2010

Major party seeking ideas -- please send postcard

Kevin Drum relays an awkward moment for Scott "Made the Dems Lose Their Collective Minds" Brown:
, Steve Benen finds Sen. Scott Brown (R–Mass.) explaining that he can't support financial reform because it's "going to be an extra layer of regulation." Which is like saying that you don't want better brakes on your car because "they're going to slow me down." And when the reporter followed up to ask what he wanted fixed in the current bill, he just got completely flummoxed: "Well, what areas do you think should be fixed?" he said. "I mean, you know, tell me. And then I'll get a team and go fix it."
Almost the exact same thing happened to Gregg Harper when he was running for the House here in Mississippi. He came by my firm to meet & greet, and was holding forth on the terrible health care plans of the Dems, etc., when a secretary asked him -- okay, maybe you're right, but I'm a single mom, I can barely afford health insurance, what's the GOP plan for healthcare reform? An obvious campaign-trail question. And according to the witness (himself a Repub) who told me about it, Harper was caught like a deer in the headlights. Literally at a loss for words. He ended up by lamely suggesting that she send him a postcard if *she* thought of something.

The GOP doesn't want to fix anything; they just want to continue profiting from the status quo, and to regain the White House. That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment